Friday, October 3, 2008

Words to the Wise (or Those Who Would Be)

“If you ask me if I believe in the eternal security of the believer, I would say I most certainly do. And I also believe in the insecurity of the make-believer.”
– J. Vernon McGee

“We are playing church. We are so busy trying to be relevant to the world that we have become just like the world….AND the world is not impressed.”
- Nancy Leigh DeMoss

There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, “Thy will be done,” and those to whom God says, “All right, then, have it your way.”
-C. S. Lewis

“Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.”
-C. S. Lewis

“I gave in and admitted that God was God.”
- C. S. Lewis

“The safest road to Hell is the gradual one-the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without any signposts.”
-C. S. Lewis

“If sinners be damned, at least let them leap to Hell over our bodies. If they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees. Let no one go there unwarned and unprayed for.”
-Charles Spurgeon

“Could a mariner sit idle if he heard the drowning cry? Could a doctor sit in comfort and just let his patients die? Could a fireman sit idle, let men burn and give no hand? Can you sit at ease in Zion with the world around you DAMNED?”
-Leonard Ravenhill

“The Bible is either absolute, or it’s obsolete.”
-Leonard Ravenhill

“Today’s church wants to be raptured from responsibility.”
-Leonard Ravenhill

“If Jesus preached the same message ministers preach today, He would have never been crucified.”
-Leonard Ravenhill

“The true man of God is heartsick, grieved at the worldliness of the Church...grieved at the toleration of sin in the Church, grieved at the prayerlessness in the Church. He is disturbed that the corporate prayer of the Church no longer pulls down the strongholds of the devil.”
-Leonard Ravenhill

“Perhaps if there were more of that intense distress for souls that leads to tears, we should more frequently see the results we desire. Sometimes it may be that while we are complaining of the hardness of the hearts of those we are seeking to benefit, the hardness of our own hearts and our feeble apprehension of the solemn reality of eternal things may be the true cause of our want of success.”
-Hudson Taylor

“I care not where I go, or how I live, or what I endure so that I may save souls. When I sleep, I dream of them; when I awake, they are the first in my thoughts…no amount of scholastic attainment, of able and profound exposition of brilliant and stirring eloquence can atone for the absence of a deep impassioned sympathetic love for human souls.”
-David Brainerd

“We fear men so much, because we fear God so little. One fear cures another. When man’s terror scares you, turn your thoughts to the wrath of God.”
-William Gurnall

No comments: